Monday, January 10, 2005

P.T. Barnum was Absolutely Right!

My friend Karen recently posted a blog about medical pseudosciences, including: Iridology, Colonic Irrigation, and Aromatherapy. Here is the link to her blog ...http://finijo.blogspot.com/2005/01/pt-barnum-was-absolutely-right.html

My thoughts on the subject:
Karen hit on one of my biggest pet peeve topics. These so-called "remedies" for what ails you really upset me.
Awhile back, when I was very sick, I had all sorts of people offering their various opinions on what crack ball remedies I should try. While I thanked each and every one of them for their kind thoughts, I would immediately roll my eyes back in their sockets when I was out of eyesight. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to try any of these things, more power to them. However, those vultures that prey on the infirmed, selling these items as magical cures, have a special place in hell reserved for them.
My lowest place of honor goes to the colonic irrigation faction. The colon has a very delicate balance of bacteria and other unknown flora and fauna. They are there for a reason, to keep us healthy. Flushing them out with one of these "treatments" is very invasive and totally unnecessary. Not to mention, possibly very damaging. Also, red meat does NOT stay in the colon for years as most people who administer colonic irrigation treatments would like you to believe. Neither does bubble gum or any other swallowed substance. Can you say "urban myth"?
One more thing and I will shut up. This topic is closely linked to another pet peeve of mine. Those people who take great delight in telling a sick person that it is all their fault for becoming ill. As if something the ill person had done or thought had made them the way they were. Those types of comments have to be the least helpful and the most insulting of any that are made to anyone who is battling an illness.

1 comment:

finijo said...

Congrats on the new blog - it's looking good. You are going to have a lot of fun with it (and you will pick up some new skills along the way). I am linking your blog as soon as I get home.

K.

PS. Best of all, it's cathartic!
PPS. So, exactly what did you do to make yourself ill? ;)